Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: first mmorpg for cell

How does Shade predate atomic dove when I was playing atomic dove in late 2001-early 2002? And by a few years at that? That would be 1999. Isn't that when nextel first branch of phones were released? I don't think they even had an image format on there phones at the time.
    Last edited by FLY; 06-02-2018 at 02:05 PM.

Also shade was created in 2002 as chaos has stated. The board was created in 2003. I started playing Shade in 2004 and am aware of Shades timeline of events, and know how long it was available. I know 100% shade doesn't predate atomic dove. Atomic dove was a text based mmorpg game, but still, an mmorpg. What kind of game was TibiaMe? I thought it was text based too.
    Last edited by FLY; 06-02-2018 at 01:57 PM.

Administrator
    Sorry Fly, Shade came out before Atomic Dove. Our games were live before Airgames launched Atomic Dove. We had a brief exchange with AirG when they launched AD and we referred to it as a BBS Doors game, they didn't like that much, but that's what AD is/was.

Tibia never had a browser version, the first iteration of Tibia was a java downloadable game. The downloadable BREW/Java version of Shade came out before Tibia as well.

Cosmic Games was a partner with Bell Mobility long before AirG was. Cosmic was also with Rogers before AirG.

Chaos

When did you release Shade for beta testing Chaos? Wikipedia claims atomic dove launched november of 2001. Airg claims it released it in 2000. And had its first tournament june of 2002. Was shade released before these dates? When was LOTR released? And you did make LOTR too right?
    Last edited by FLY; 06-02-2018 at 02:58 PM.

Administrator
    I'm not going to dig into all of the dates.

We approached Guinness when Tibia made the claim and we were able to provide records that proved to Guinness that Shade was indeed released before Tibia.

It's not just having a game, it needed to be live with substantiated game usage data.

Chaos

I remember atomic dove. I also spent time playing alien fish exchange (where Chaos found me) and data clash.
    I think I was one of the few players of Java Shade. I had a Nextel Moto phone that supported Java, so was one of the first to play Shade in full color...

Regardless though, I do agree that Shade was the first game of its kind that truly brought a unique interaction with players and was a real style mmorpg on cell phones. I agree with your assessment as well on Atomic Dove being a BBS Doors Game. I am happy that TibiaME no longer has the record, and it went to Chaos. We definitely knew TibiaME didn't hold the real record.

What record are you talking about, FLY? As the first mobile MMO?

Hello, seems like another life time since the days of shade has come and gone. I've sometimes had thoughts of the old days and what impacts it had in my life, I'm surprised this website was here for years and only today I have came across this. I enjoy reading most of what I can about our simulated world we was plugged into. And yes I can agree with the one thread I read apon about us being pioneers of the game, also fascinated with the fact that it did hold the record title for Mmorpg. I'm glad to have been apart of it I'm proud of the people I've met aswell. I guess my only question is and I apologize if it has been brought up and answered many other times. Will there be a comeback for a shade game or anything that resembles it today?

Quote Originally Posted by MORPHIA View Post
    Hello, seems like another life time since the days of shade has come and gone. I've sometimes had thoughts of the old days and what impacts it had in my life, I'm surprised this website was here for years and only today I have came across this. I enjoy reading most of what I can about our simulated world we was plugged into. And yes I can agree with the one thread I read apon about us being pioneers of the game, also fascinated with the fact that it did hold the record title for Mmorpg. I'm glad to have been apart of it I'm proud of the people I've met aswell. I guess my only question is and I apologize if it has been brought up and answered many other times. Will there be a comeback for a shade game or anything that resembles it today?
    Look up "dusk-lost world" on messenger games. Or get the link out of "shade limbo" group in facebook... or, maybe someone could post a link for you to access it here. Yes, the world you remember has been back for a few months now.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567